When it comes to buying and selling houses, many people will argue that listing or buying in the winter is a no-go. They’ll argue that the weather makes things difficult, buyers aren’t in the right mindset or that curb appeal isn’t ideal. But in all reality, they’re wrong!
Buyers are more focused and serious in the winter because they’re ready to commit. They don’t want to take the chance on missing an opportunity by waiting until spring when the housing market is flooded with other homes and eager buyers.
There’s also far less competition in the colder months. Many people consider spring the ideal time to buy or sell a home so listing or shopping around in the winter means you’ll have more options and less competition.
The extreme weather can even work in your favour by highlighting specific winter-ready features of your home like how well equipped your gutters are (look, no icicles!), how sturdy your roof is and how your driveway can withstand cracking in frigid temperatures. Plus, if you’ve got a hot tub or a beautiful fireplace, winter is the perfect time to show them off as well!
Wondering if you might be able to sell YOUR home this winter? These tips might help:
- Get a handle on the ice and snow on your property. Keep an eye out for hazards on steps, driveways and sidewalks to give buyers easy access to your home and avoid any not-so-fun injuries.
- Show the outside of your home some love! Things are often quite grey and dull in the winter so it’s important to do a good clean of your windows, doors and siding to get rid of the dirt and grime that builds up as a result of the winter snow and slush.
- Watch for ice dams and take care of them as soon as you spot them. Left alone, they can cause mold, ruin insulation and even peel paint.
- Create a cozy environment inside your home. Little touches like beautiful blankets, candles and throw pillows can go a long way in impressing buyers. If you’ve got a fireplace, turn it on!
- Consider opting for tasteful seasonal decor to elevate the look and feel of your home.
- Give buyers the ability to look through photos of your home in other months so they can see how beautiful the yard looks with the changing leaves on the trees or how lovely the front garden is when it’s in full bloom.
When it comes to selling your home, it’s important to be prepared no matter what time of the year it is, but don’t let winter scare you off! Contact us to learn more about your options and how to best leverage the housing market at any time of the year.